Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The one with The Decision

I started my working career in 2002. Since then, it has lead me to 4 corporations. The experiences, lessons and friendships forged were valuable. But in those years, I always and I mean always seem to make the wrong choice in career development. And recently I made another error in judgement.

A couple of weeks back, there was opening within the organization. This opening suited my talents and qualifications. Also it was an opportunity to return back to what I did before - dealing. I applied for the position, and discussion with the team there, they hinted that the post was already mine. As I had the background and also the license for the industry. One of two people in the building (the other is our CEO) with the dealing license.

Still I had to go through the formalities, as the job ad was opened to the whole organization. I'm not sure how many applied, but I still had to sit through the interview process. But what I found insulting was that I was asked to sit for the online-assessment test. I'm already in the employ of the organization, why should I sit for the exam. It is as if I applied as an outsider. Anyways, I half-heartedly did the exam, didn't bother reading the questions properly, just randomly answer.

Among the terms I stated was I wanted a raise from the current wages being paid to me as well as a promotion. This being the guy that is leaving is a senior post that what I am currently. Also, I figured that with my qualifications and background, it was merited and it was they who needed me.

In the end, what was offered was a lateral move. A move which I turned down. As the reason they gave was based on a wrong-fully judged performance last year. My big boss downgraded me to a 'below-average' performer when my boss gave me 'above-average'. My big boss stated that she has the final word and no discussions. Which is probably why I wasn't handsomely rewarded for doing the voodoo that I did so well on such unrealistic targets.

With that in mind, I knew that my future bosses will have my performance at the back of their head when judging me.

Seriously I wasn't thinking when I made the decision. I totally forgot the pros and cons list I made in my head when I applied for the post. I was only looking at the money on the table. Because I was thinking how am I to raise a family with my current salary and debts. I want to give my son everything I never had, but now I fear I can't. Yes, it is true that I am fueled by greed.

As to why I wanted to leave my current post. Simple, I can't work with the new acting head. He calls for unnecessary and pointless meetings every 10 minutes and at odd hours (ie after office hours on a Friday). At the rate he calls for meetings which doesn't have to do with me, I can't get anything done in the office. His reason, you can do your work after office hours when the sun is down. Well, I'm guessing your wife and kids don't give a rats ass about you. My boss even though he reaches home late, he still makes time to teach his son maths. Also the new acting head's style is not going well with the rest of the department. Everyone is seeking an exit. And I had the easiest way out, only to stupidly turn it down.

As to why I stayed. I don't really know why. Maybe it was because I work well with my boss. Even during our telephone interview before the face-to-face interview, he already knew that I was one who can work with him. Maybe it was because this year I am exceeding the target set by the management by a country mile.

So instead of taking my talents to the 13th floor, I stayed put in the 9th floor. The job search continues as that is probably the only way for a pay rise.

This week was the first work week post decision. And everyday it tells me that I made a wrong choice to stay. If only I left, it would have started the mass exodus. A vote of no confidence in the acting head's style. I could have hammered the point.

As much as I regret the decision, life goes on. The problems and issues I had yesterday still need to be dealt with even though it will never end.

No comments: