Friday, July 22, 2011

The one with my return to tennis Thursday

Last night, I made my return to tennis Thursday. After a long hiatus, which I just explained I have something to do. Though most of the guys believe I went for some secret training.

Well, I made my return because the guys say they miss me. Our group of 'Whackers' (as Nasir calls us) consists of 6 players - Effi Federer, Nasir Nadal, Shahrin Lendl, Raez Becker, Azraai Djoovic and myself which somehow they call me Verdasco. Even since my absence the numbers have dwindled and sessions are less. For the past few sessions, its only been 3 players which is and odd number for tennis. The two guys who have been missing in action are because one has moved to the other side of town and other has other interests and activities since he bought a Harley - its seems to be a chick magnet for him.

So last night, we managed to play a set of doubles action. I was paired with Lendl while Djokovic and Federer were on the other side of the net. The matchup you could say was a pairing of Wilson and Prince rackets against each other.

I served to start the game which we won. The Djokovic's serve was broken and we had a 2-0 lead. Lendl's serve was off and we were broken and Federer served to tie the game at 2-a-piece.

I then served and won my service game. Djokovic then served some bullets to tie the game at 3-all. My partner Lendl won his service game and we went up 4-3. On Federer's serve, it went to a few deuces for finally we won the game.

Now we were up 5-3 and I was serving for the game. Which proved to be a nail-biter. We were down 03-40 before we forced deuce. Then began a rally of deuces as no of us could finish off the game. Then finally after gaining the advantage, I hit a backhand-slice which Djokovic misjudged to win the game. A thrilling and fun game of tennis.

The guys said it's been a while since they had so much fun playing and hoping for more of the same for next week, which will be the last game before the fasting month of Ramadhan.

I for one really enjoyed myself, especially with the week I was having. It felt good to be where I belong, on a court or field doing my thing.

1 comment:

Apples said...

this was my birthday!