Friday, July 1, 2011

The one with the tennis Friday match

Just got back from tennis. Had great fun. And one of the rare occasions I get to play a full singles match. I feel I play better at singles than at doubles.
My opponent was Hafiz. Fellow basketball Wednesday teammate. It was a great game for our standards, which is miles away from the level of play of the Federers and Nadals. And to make it all so much fun was I won 6-3, 6-3.
I started off flying in the first set. Taking a 5-0 lead. Then Hafiz pulled back to 3-5. I usually have trouble closing out games where I have comfortable leads, and I fear this would be one of them. For once, I didn't get rattled. I still played the same steady game that got me the lead. Previously I would have switched tactics and play the powerful but erratic serves. In the end, I managed to close out the set on my serve.
The second set was a different story. We exchanged a break of serve each in the first 4 games. Then I managed to pull away with a 4-2 lead and then a 5-3 lead. And finally I managed to seal the game on Hafiz's serve after a few deuces.
Great game, great fun and a good win for me.

No comments: