Friday, July 8, 2011

The one with the disastrous futsal tournament

Last Saturday, 2 July 2011, we entered the 3rd KHRSC Futsal Tournament. This being our third time entering the tournament. After reaching the quarter-finals last year, we felt good about our chances.

We retain the team name 'I Love Papaya' and with one change to last year's line-up. Captain Farrish's brother-in-law came in to replace Meor. Our starting-5 looked good on paper (as always) - Shareza as our keeper, Shanaz, Yusuf, Badrul and Farris on the court. Me, Reza and Farrish were part of the bench mob.

Our first game was against Rentas FC. We led the game 1-0 at halftime. Then mid-way through the second half, I came in to spell Farris. After I came in, they scored 3 against us and we lost 1-4. The whole team collapsed and it was all my fault.

The second game we were up against AOFC, and got served 0-5. And with our exit confirmed, I started the last game against Salehin FC and we lost 0-3 in that one.

As for our reasons on why we fared so poorly. I guess there were a lot of factors. First was we were not use to the blue rubber court, our usual home court is grass. Second, we didn't have any training together. Even though we play on a weekly basis, the teams are mixed and the games were a whole lot casual.

A tournament to forget, which all started when I took the floor.

No comments: