Thursday, January 26, 2012

The one with the department mess

This post can also be called the one with the mass exodus. A sad unfortunate tale really, but at the end of the day, people have to look out for their livelihood and also their own happiness.
Lets go back to the start of 2011. The department had 18 permanent staff. And now come January 2012, we have 6 from that 18 still in the department while 3 are serving their resignation notice. Of the 6, 5 of them are from my Ops & Dealing team and the other is the Acting Global Head. The Ops & Dealing team is the only team intact, while the others have already disbanded. The Sales & Training, Commodities, Capital Markets, Compliance and Marketing teams in the department has been vacated. Surprisingly this shortage is only being addressed now.
Why the mass exodus? Well for one, some have followed our former Global Head to her new gig. Some have better opportunities elsewhere and one decided to take his talents to the middle east. But whatever the reasons are, the 10 who left after the former Global Head left, decided to look for an exit after the Acting Head failed to do his job properly as well as living in his own world. It may be easy to blame the Acting Head, but thats the main reason they left.
So why is my unit the only unit intact? For one, we have a boss who takes care of his staff. Which is the reason why we are still on board. But for how long? Morale in the department is at an all time low, despite we were all (deservingly) rated as OutStanding in the recent appraisal. We are asked to help fill in for the vacant slots. Some are not even within our current skill set. While this does give us the opportunity to learn, expand and widen our experience, but moving forward this is not a long term solution.
I've been given assurances my future is safe and my boss is proposing a promotion in order to keep me on board. With everyone gone, after the Acting Head and my boss, I'm the one with the experience left. Sadly, despite the shortage of manpower and also no signs of anyone coming in, we are still assigned the now impossible targets to achieve. The targets has risen, but with the same client base.
Now it is a clearer sign the my decision to stay was the wrong choice. For now, I will stay on board, wait for the bonus (if any) and increments (if any), before deciding my next move. But I foresee the department's future itself is bleak and I should seek a new job on the unemployment line.

No comments: