Thursday, January 26, 2012

The one with my failings

Where did it all go wrong? When did the brutal fork in the road happen? I've been plagued with these questions everyday. Wasn't I destined for greatness? Wasn't the human race suppose to kneel before me?
I will be first to admit that I have failed everyone. I have failed my family. I have failed my parents. I have failed my wife. I have failed my son. I have failed myself.
I'm going to be 33 in the middle of the year and I am nowhere near where I want to be. I can't even provide for my wife and kid.
I also will be first to admit that all this is my fault. It comes down to the financial mess I put myself in. I am way deep in debt. My salary is not enough to last the month. I can't even clear my credit card mess. Even if I do manage to clear a chunk of it, I end up using the available balance again. My cards are near to maxing out, I still have personal loans to service as well as my automobile financing. This does not include the bills I help my parents pay for the house. All this is now added with the fact that I now owe someone money.
All this because I lived beyond my means early in my career. I didn't properly manage my finances and didn't figure out how to budget my spending then. I thought I could manage because I believed I was going places. How wrong I was. Now my career has stalled.
So what does my financial mess have to do with my failings? Mainly, I have yet to own any property. I don't even have any savings to put as down payment, and now with my lousy credit standing, I doubt I'll be able to get any home-financing. I can't expect to stay in my parents house or in-laws house forever. Aidan will out-grow the confines of my bedroom one day. And what if Aidan were to have a sibling?
Now to add to that, even my dad pointed the fact I have yet to own a house. He finds it embarrassing that as a man and head of family I haven't even purchased a house. He also pointed out, that when my sisters got married, their husbands already or made in rows to buy a place. I tried, but due to my mess, I can't even think of getting one.
My dad suggested I buy my mum's place. As much as I want to, I can't even afford it. He wants me to buy it as he doesn't want the property to leave the family. And also, he is trying to help me out with a place.
Am I really underpaid and shortchanged here? I would like to think I am. People with my experience are already or if not getting a 5-figure salary, I am not even halfway close. I envy my friends who go places. Who travel to London almost every 3 months. Who go on overseas vacations to unwind every quarter. I envy those who can provide comfort for their families. But who am I to question 'rezeki orang' right?
So at the end of it all, it all comes down to me and make do with what I have.

No comments: