Friday, May 9, 2008

The one with the basketball

After some time, a basketball post. Been sometime since I last played. I no longer join the group that I use to play with on Sundays. Being the fact its a Sunday and I don't really want to do anything at all. So a friend invited me to join his group which plays on Friday night.
It was the first session for the group. Probably want to see the response. The fact that everyone was totally out of rhythm was plain to see. Most couldn't keep up with the pace. I managed to keep up but I don't recall playing basketball hurting this much. Guess when you play the 'run-and-gun' style it does take a toll on you.
I myself enjoyed this session compared to my previous groups. Reason being most of the players are actively playing in social leagues and all-stars in their own right. I believe most of the players from today's group are stars also, so I will wait before committing my Friday nights to the group. Guess everyone wanted to see how each other played as well as adjusting to the style of play.
My game, well I had a very bad shooting night (again) going 1-for-7. At least my stat line was filled with 7 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 blocks. I also enjoyed playing the point guard role at times. A role I haven't played since college. I know I can do better, especially when it comes to rebounds as I'm still lazy to bang inside with the other big guys. I still enjoy playing in the wings playing the slasher role.
I had the winning assist for the night. I was in mid-air behind the board, and threw a no-look-pass over my shoulder to an open teammate for the winning shot.
So the group decided to make it a fortnightly affair. Maybe after it picks up, I might need to buy a new pair of shoes.


No comments: