Saturday, April 25, 2009

The one with the ill-fated futsal tournament

Good day people. Took part in a futsal tournament organized by KHR (some audit firm) at Sportsplanet Ampang.
For one we had the quality to go far. Two friends from my Saturday group joined the team. Badrul as our goalkeeper and Reza as our striker. The others are from the KAG tournament team - Aizat, Farrish, Shahril, Shareza, Wira and myself. Sadly we were ousted in the group stages with only one draw and two losses. We scored a total of two goals (courtesy of Reza and myself) and conceded 4 goals. Games were tight, but we should have taken the first two games.
Prior to the tourney, our team was already kinda depleted. I was still sick. Farrish had an injured arm. Aizat and Shareza had stomach problems. Not a good sign.
For the first game, we played the host team. I played an unfamiliar deep role again. I had space to fire a shot, and it left my foot like a bullet. The keeper did well the stop it but it spilled to Reza for our first goal of the tourney. We pulled off our newly rehearsed goal celebration after that. Later they equalized, it was a cheap goal to give away. A defensive error on my end led to the goal. After that goal, as I was making a defensive header I got kicked/whacked on the stomach. I had to withdraw from the game after that. We held on for the draw, but we knew we should have taken the game.
The second game didn't really go according to plan as well. Another defensive error by me led to the goal. We were unlucky to hit the post once and unlucky when Reza had a clear shot, only for the keeper to stick out his hand and save it.
Our final game was against the eventual group champions. We changed our strategy for the game. Fielding the 5 from Saturday's group. Shareza played in goal this time, Farrish and Badrul at defence, Reza as striker and me in my favoured position in the 'hole'. It worked well. I was feeding passes to Reza just like Tuesday and Saturday's sessions. Only this time his finishing touch deserted him. Then the turning point, Shareza was red carded for reasons I still wasn't clear of. They scored from the resulting free kick. They scored again and we were 2 down. I finally had a goal in the end. A goalmouth scramble fell the ball to me. And i just rammed it home. My goal celebration said it all, as it was a frustrating tourney for me. We lost in the end 1-2 and were sent packing.
A lot of 'what ifs' in the tourney.

back (l-r) - badrul, shareza, farrish, reza, faisal
front (l-r) aizat, wira, shahril

No comments: