Thursday, February 21, 2008

The one where I walked out on a karaoke session

I bet the title kinda gave you a shock. Very unlikely of me to commit such an offence, in karaoke standards anyways. I still came back to the session in the end, but I didn't perform in my usual manner after that.
So where shall I begin. Tonight we were celebrating a colleagues confirmation status in our desk. So a karaoke session was in order. I myself was pretty much amped and ready to rock as always. I started off in my usual manner and didn't want to disappoint. After 45 minutes, a colleague made a statement which really offended me. Not sure if it was intentional or not. First of all, as you all know I can't sing. I'm more of the entertainer and showmanship is my specialty. So I figure my 'noise' and 'uncoordinated movements' offended someone. After that I gently put the mic on the table, grabbed my phone, wallet and ipod and went off to chill. Ended up at some kopitiam but with lousy wi-fi access.
I admit I have offended people with my karaoke theatrics. Some were even traumatized and didn't want to go for karaoke if I was one of the 'performers'. I know people will have a barrel of laughs watching me 'karaoke'. That’s one form of entertainment I provide. And I'm not afraid to make a fool of myself (I've been doing that since I was a kid).
To me karaoke is having fun with your friends. But for certain people, singing in the right manner, with rhythm and proper pitching and whatever crap is involved is the way to go. And they do that sitting down in a well mannered behavior. I think they are probably training to be a singer or audition for some talent show.
Anyways, when I came back, I did things their way. You take out the comical element of me, you'll get one boring karaoke session. I didn't sing as much, I cancelled all my songs that were still on the play list, because my song selections are way too different. I only sang backup to some songs and I did that sitting down. Yes, the hyperactive me karaoke sitting down. And I was no longer fun. And after that the whole session was less energetic and for once I chose not to do anything about it.
In the end I realized my brand of karaoke is only appreciated my the entourage and a select few close friends. So that’s why, from now onwards, I will only karaoke with friends who karaoke the way I do. For other sessions, I will have to decline. Not fair for me to take away other people's 'fun'.

3 comments:

A RAY OF HOPE said...

Hey! Who dare spoil the fun of one of my best friends?...you just give me their names and I'll make sure that they sing like it's the last thing they'll do...

Maggie said...

I remember 2 guys walked out when I started singing in a karaoke for the first time. They were laughing their heads off at my imperfect pitch etc.

And when they came back 1/2 hour later, they sang exactly like I did.

*shrugs*

mmmm said...

ala kesian u.... if u can sing in the right manner, with rhythm and pitching yg tak ke laut, sure u dah masuk OIAM or M'sian Idol or AF kan kan??
take care...