Monday, February 4, 2008

The one with the Superbowl

Another title I ripped from Friends. But in my case its only one part. So I took leave to watch the Superbowl (I know its wierd but I do that every year since I started working). A very nerve-wrecking-nail-biting game. In the end the Giants of New York beat the (favourites) Patriots of New England.
Well a lot has been mention about the Patriots run for perfection. They were unbeaten this season and hopes to become the first team since the Dolphins in 1972 to have a perfect season. However they were up against the underdog Giants who loved the billing of the 'me-against-the-world' mentality. They had nothing given to them. They faced adversity after adversity but their resilience till the very last play showed in what could be used as a good example of sportsmanship. I admit I was rooting for the Patriots when the season began, but the Giants caught my eye. The one thing I learn from watching the NFL is the team who gets hot at the right time usually has great momentum come playoff time. THe Giants didn't raise any eyebrows and even started 0-2. But as the season wore on and having to deal with injuries to key players they came together and just played with a total team effort.
After the first quarter, the Patriots led 7-3. The second and third quarters were deadlocked as neither team gave an inch. The Giants defence played extremely well, shutting down the highest scoring offence in the NFL. Things openned up in the 4th. Giants quarterback Eli Manning running an efficient game and key plays by the rookies led to a Giants TD. Then Patriots came back with the Tom Brady-Wes Welker combonation with Randy Moss scoring a TD. Patriots up 14-10. Then on the last drive by the Giants, Eli lead them to another TD with a pass to Plaxico Burress. 17-14 Giants with less than a minute left. Giants defence went on a rampage and shutting down the Patriots offence once and for all.
A great win for the Giants ending the Patriots dream of perfection. And Eli managed to keep the MVP award in the family after his brother Peyton won it all last season.
Back to the local scene, I had a great weekend. Well maybe due to the fact I was away from work and the long weekend. Then a very sexy game of futsal as well as meeting some interesting new characters with one I hope would have a signaficant role to play in the future. Well thats the hope.
Alrighty then, I am due back to work tomorrow. At least its 2 days before the long Chinese New Year break.

No comments: