Thursday, March 20, 2008

The one with some train stories

A public holiday today. And a well needed break I say. Catching a movie later, so figure I write something about my daily commute on the train. Before I continue I take the Putra from Kelana Jaya to the city. I've been taking the train for the past three years (I think) and there are some (un)interesting stories.
Most people who take the train will either be listen to their music whether on their ipods, mp3 players or their mobile phones. Also most of them would be reading either a book or the newspaper or even a magazine. I most of the time (since I got my ipod) will be lost in the world of music. Sometimes I'll pull out a book, if I bother reading.
However there are some irritating behaviours on the train. For example talking too loud. Seriously dude, I didn't ask you to bore me with your family history or work issues or even your cat. These characters would either be talking to a friend or be on their mobile. Usually I counter this by blasting my music till his or her voice is drained out.
One disgusting behaviour, which by the way I saw last week was some dude was picking his nose throughout the whole journey. Don't people clear their nose before going out anymore. I had to cover my face with the newspaper, cause the sight was disgusting. I couldn't move to another spot as the train was already packed.
One incident I remember from a couple of years ago was the the crying girl. There was this girl standing next to me on the train reading her novel. Then suddenly halfway she started crying. At that time I thought, that must be one sad story she was reading, might have the Chinese version of Chicken Soup. Then she closed her book and continued crying. Then she really burst into tears. And me being somewhat of a concern citizen, asked "excuse me miss, is everything all right?". Then the floodgates open and the other passengers were looking at me. Probably in their mind I must have done something to make her cry. Then it was my stop and so I got off. And still I have no idea what happened.
Also what I like about my train trips is seeing the friendly faces on the train. No need to go up with some pick up line or anything. Just the casual 'good morning smile'. I sometimes hear stories about people meeting their partners on the train. As for me, I rather play it safe and keep things on a friendlier basis. They probably remember me as "that-tall-fella-with-his-ipod-and -warm-friendly-smile-that-helps-start-my-day".
Alrighty then, going off for lunch and movie now.


No comments: