Saturday, August 11, 2007

The one where the new EPL season begins and I watched in disgust as my Spurs leave me frustrated (again)

A new season begins. Its back to watching football games on Saturday night. So tonight my favourite team Spurs had the honour of playing the first game to kick-off the season. We were away to newly-promoted Sunderland.
Too frustrated to go into the details, but I couldn't believe what I saw. I seriously believe my futsal groups can play a whole lot better and entertaining. Martin Jol still hasn't learn from his two full seasons with the team. He continues to play 4 central midfielders while sacrificing width on the process. And why on earth does he pin the team creative genius to some Jermaine Jenas is beyond me. I for one know I am way better in being the creative-attacking-midfield-genius than Jenas.
Overall everyone was at fault. The defence couldn't keep things simple. Instead of making the defensive clearance, they want to show off ball control techniques while losing possession in the process. The midfield was non-existent. Even our strikers couldn't even find a shot. The Berbatov-Keane combo wasn't working, newly bought and overpriced and now complete waste of money Darren Bent showed his 'quality' and Defoe couldn't provide the offensive spark.
I for one had hope that this will be the season where Spurs fans finally have something to cheer about. But like every season, they disappoint me. Oh well, now I'll just wait for the NFL and NBA season to start.

No comments: