Monday, April 7, 2008

The one with the treasure hunt

An eventful weekend. I entered the AmBank Group Treasure Hunt. The hunt was from KL to Penang. Actually we finish before Penang, but we stayed overnight there. My team included colleagues from my department Chun Bee, Melissa and Cythia (yes it is spelt without the 'N'). So I was the driver, Chun Bee the navigator and the two girls were the brains of the operation.
A very early morning for all of us. Woke up at 5am, met up with the team around 6ish at the Securities Commission carpark. We flagged off around 7.30 (after a delay due to typical Malaysian timing). The hunt theme was based on the PIrates trilogy. I didn't manage to watch all three films before the hunt so I printed out the wikipedia of the films. My team were all first timers. So generally we weren't use to all the puzzles. We all had a good grasp on the general knowledge, but we had trouble deciphering the clues and hints within the given clues. But its an experience for all of us for the next hunt (providing we are all still in the bank next year). And also the discovery of the fact that RED is totally NOT my colours.
We reached the finishing station at 3.15pm and after submitting our answers and treasures we headed off the the island. I was surprised to see a lot has changed since the last time I was in Penang (2002). I myself spent two ill-fated years at a boarding school in Penang and it seems all the shortcuts and routes I use to know were non-existent. Anyways, before we headed to the Bayview Hotel in Batu Feringhi, we headed to Gurney Drive for some good (overpriced) Penang food. When we finally reached the hotel we wanted to head to the beach for some sea fun. But from our balcony we saw a huge drain heading to the sea next to the hotel. Crap-O. We then changed our minds and headed to the pool. After swimming a couple of laps I realize I seriously need to lose pounds as I couldn't pull of the James Bond scene.
Later that night was the answers and prize giving ceremony. We manage to get 10 out of 30 questions right. And two of my teammates (Chun Bee and Cythia) won toasters from the lucky draw.
Sadly, the event went low-key. It was announced that one car didn't make the finish line and one bank staff died in the accident. A burst tyre, car spinning out of control and a collision with the divider were the events leading to the death.
We still went out for drinks later that night. Went to the QEII, some club at the jetty, supposedly one of the happening places in Penang. The only good thing about the place was the fact that it was on the jetty. The rest was okay except the music which totally sucked.
We slept after 2am, after my roommate was puking his guts out.
Woke up the next morning and headed to the balcony. A beautiful rainbow greeted me good morning. Headed for breakfast after taking a shower. After breakfast I was walking around the hotel and found a basketball court. I went nuts after that and borrowed a ball from the hotel. Shot some hoops and realize I really miss playing basketball. At least I still had my moves and somehow managed some lay ups (I can't dunk anymore due the the weight I'm carrying around) with my off-hand.
After checking out, we headed to Georgetown for some nasi kandar before heading back home. It was raining the whole trip back and after the news of the accident, the girls told me to driver slower. We reached KL around 4.30pm and after sending everyone off I headed home to sleep.
Still tired, but had a great time.

No comments: