Thursday, March 1, 2007

To Plot An Exit

Yesterday I received a job offer from a 'rival'. Not to say I'm joining the dark side or anything (I'm already in it). But those close to me have known of my unhappy 'situation' at my current employment since being absorbed on the merger last year. They have heard my rumblings and grumblings since last year (thanks for listening, you knoe who you are). I am happy to have finally found an opportunity to pursue my career in a larger organization.
However, comes the 'To Plot An Exit'. My line of work allows me to leave on 24-hour notice. As we are no longer authorized to transact any dealings once we tender. But there are cases where they would still want you to serve the 2-month notice period, just to make life difficult for you. My relation with my superiors also pretty much cold. Not someone you can approach. Submitting that letter to him would be another story. The only time he is approached for is to approve leave. Also bonus season is coming, and i feel I should be rewarded for my efforts last year. The bonus was suppose to come before the Chinese New Year break, but it was postponed (or as I would say it, they just don't feel like paying us when they should). So now I have no idea when it's being paid out.
What's going thru my head now. Sign and leave immediately, or stall till bonus and hope my new employers can wait. I think I can only come up with a decision tomorrow, when a close friend who recommended me for the gig comes back (yup, headhunting for a 'rival'). This friend would have the inner-workings on what i should do. If only bonus was paid out earlier, I would have sign the offer letter yesterday and tender my resignation today.
Push comes to shove it, if I can't have both (bonus + new gig) , I would take the new offer and leave. Oh yeah, I'm blogging from the office.

No comments: